Thursday, June 08, 2006

A tale with a moral

This is a lesson in meeting people, I guess. At the schools So about 4 months ago, I went to a friend’s birthday party in Fujisawa. I met a bunch of fun people, and a group of about 6 of us headed back to Hiratsuka to for a sort of after-party. On the way back, a few of the guys with us ran into a former high school classmate of theirs. She seemed a bit uptight, but they persuaded her to join our group. We went back to Hiratsuka to the local salsa bar. She was one of the few to actually try dancing salsa. We had a pretty good time. By the end of the night, she’d given me her email and told me to write her so we could go out sometime. She wanted to practice her English, and I always need someone to help me with my Japanese. But she never responded to the mails I sent her. I hate getting blown off like that, especially when the other person seems enthusiastic about going out.

So Monday I got to a different junior high school and meet a bunch of the student teachers. By now you can see where this is going. She didn’t recognize me the first time she saw me, and it wasn’t until Tuesday when I called her by her first name before we’d even been introduced. She had a rather shocked look on her face. So the lesson is, don’t blow someone off or be rude, even if they’re a foreigner you think you won’t ever see again, because you never know when they’ll turn up and be able to say embarrassing things about you to the other teachers.

No comments: