Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Haru Ichiban on Valentine's Day

Well, the runny nose I had seized up and gave me a nice little sinus infection. So I spent most of last week bemoaning my existence and blowing my nose at poor little kids.

By Friday I was a bit more perked up and went to the gym for some step classes. God, how weird is that. No leotards, yet. There are a few people there who preen in front of the mirrors, checking themselves out. Talk about self-absorbed. The weekend didn't involve much beyond an unexpected binge session with Tracey and Miwa, who crapped out right when we got to the nightclub. She was off around 11:30 to bed. Tracey and I got bored at the salsa club. We ran into Bob, Damien's old roommate. He was standing outside the club with a couple of my old workmates and another guy, a Scotsman who I thought was just visiting. The guy turned out to live in Chigasaki, the next town over, and is a real dick. Everything was prefaced with, "Well, I've lived here for 9 years, so..." You think after 9 years he'd learn to not be such a prick, and that speaking English to a bouncer who can only speak Japanese and Spanish (us being at a Peruvian salsa club) isn't gonna work. He got on my and everyone else's nerves, so we split to a hip-hop bar. Tracey was determined to find me a girl, and evidently a hiphop club is the best place to go. Needless to say, that didn't work out so well. The only girl besides Tracey was the DJ's girlfriend. All I ended up with was the awful stench of smoke ingrained into my clothes.

My sinuses have settled into a stalemate with the infection. It's just gonna stay there until spring, and I'll end up with a headache the whole time. I've fought off worse. At least I'm not delirious and fevered like last year. But I'm starting to wonder if I haven't taken on too much work with my evening classes. Today was Valentine's Day. I didn't get to enjoy it as I didn't sleep well the night before. My computer decided to crap out Monday afternoon and something major happened (maybe a trojan or virus, not sure), but I got it sorted for the most part, except I did something that pretty much removed my HDD with all my music, TV shows, movies, etc.

So today was Haru Ichiban, or the first day of spring. That's what they call the first day that is warm and springlike, I guess. My student informed me of this tonight, so I thought I'd make use of it. It was a balmy 17C today, I didn't even need my ski jacket in the afternoon. Today was also Valentine's Day. It's a bit different than in the US. Basically, girls have to give guys (any guys, not just boyfriends) chocolate, cookies, etc. I got a few gifts from my students. At least I'm popular among the 15 yr-olds. Yay. The chocolates were nice, although I feel bad because I won't be around on White Day (March 14th), when the guys are supposed to return the favor (though most don't). Better that I won't be here then, because with so many faces to remember, I couldn't pick them out of a lineup.

Today was grueling, 6 lessons during the day, which meant I only got about 30 minutes free for lunch. At least I got out at 3:30, so I could grab some more food before I had 2 evening lessons. Lots of work. I hate it now, but I'll be happy when I see that paycheck.

In other news, I'm getting ready for Aaron & Molly to visit. I made reservations for a 3-day trip to Kyoto. I only have to find a place to stay in Tokyo for a few nights, and we're set. I can't wait. I don't get to spend much time around Tokyo, so I've got a lot of things I'd like to do.

No comments: