Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dolphin slaughter

This video is awful. Don't watch it unless you have an exceptionally strong stomach. As an American who grew up not really eating fish, and consuming meat that in no way resembled the animal it came from, I was horrified to see this video. Japanese people may be more desensitized, as it's not uncommon for them to eat fish that was just recently killed, or even live octopus or baby squid. I've seen whale bacon on the menu at some restaurants. I wonder how much of it came from this. Probably not much, as these roundups only take place in a few isolated areas of Japan, not in "small towns across Japan" as the narrator claims.

Another thing to note. The comment section of the blog I found this on is normally intelligent and articulate, but the racism that came out should serve to remind us that even 60 or 70 years ago Asians and other so-called 'ethnicities' (including German, my main ethnicity) that weren't Anglo-Saxon were considered to be sub-human. That wasn't so long ago, and certainly not long enough to prevent it from burrowing away into the recesses of normally open-minded people. Something to keep in mind for all the people who claim racism doesn't exist in the US anymore.

(via Pharyngula) --check the comments for my admonition (I'm #53, so probably no one will read me)

(edit: link fixed)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This vide clip seems to be doing the rounds, and it's on my blog as well. I read your comments on pharyngula, and I agree completely with everything you said.

The comments out there are bordering on racism. Just had a glance at your blog and it&s excellent reading. Keep up the good work.

From a fellow Japan resident *this one in Okinawa),

Dave

Anonymous said...

i couldn't get myself to watch it, but like the movie psycho, the impact is more in what we imagine. i had similar feelings watching the borat movie when he disrespected the chicken. i used to have them on a farm in my childhood. makes me want to eat less meat off all kinds.