Friday, June 10, 2005

MEAT!!!!

Now I like a good hunk of dead animal like any other good American. One day I want to try training to surpass the 2kg challenge at steak night someday (that's 4.4 pounds for you non-internationalists out there). So I worry a bit for my carnivorous friends and relatives back home who have to deal with this. I don't know how much of it is actually true, it'd be worthwhile for somebody to check up on. But I do know that, given our government's policies favoring American businesses at all costs, it probably is. And even if it's not, shouldn't people be checking up on this. I know from my experience here in Japan is that the Japanese government is under immense pressure to lift the ban on American beef, even though the Americans flat out refuse to perform the checks and practices that are listed in that article.

So all you red-blooded Republicans can go and get a good case of BSE. You've got no one to blame but yourselves for not doing something about this. Japan may have BSE problems, but they're at least following WHO regulations now (or should be, the Japanese seem to be even worse about not punishing misbehaving companies).

No comments: